When it comes to your appearance, few things are as noticeable as yellow or discolored teeth. Your Sacramento Cosmetic dentists at Midtown Dental offer a variety of teeth whitening methods to return your smile to its pearly white self.
Achieving Brighter & Whiter Teeth
The whiteness and brightness of your teeth give your smile a vibrant and attractive appearance. That’s why teeth whitening is one of the most commonly requested cosmetic dentistry treatments available. Combating tooth discoloration is not simple, since it’s caused by a variety of factors ranging from genetics to your diet.
Jenny Apekian, Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S), at Midtown Dental offers numerous methods for making your smile beautiful. Her knowledge and expertise will help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted, giving you an incredible confidence boost.
Although there are a number of very reliable whitening products and methods available, it’s important that our patients know and understand how their teeth may become discolored in the first place.
What Causes Tooth Discoloration?
As we age, our teeth lose their whiteness and luster. Whether it’s due to a lack of dental care or personal oral care, there are many things that can be attributed to why your teeth are changing in color. Discoloration can become visible as early as our late 20s and early 30s. Several factors will usually accelerate this discoloration:
- Smoking – It’s widely known that cigarettes and other tobacco-based products are extremely harmful to the state of your oral health.
- Acidic Drinks – Drinks such as coffee, tea, red wine, and soda can hurt your chances of obtaining a brighter smile.
- Minerals in drinking water.
- Onset of Gum and Tooth Disease – Many patients who have gum disease or have tooth decay may notice tooth discoloration; age isn’t always a factor with this type of condition.
- Poor Eating Habits – The American Dental Association (ADA) has scientifically proven that an unhealthy diet may ruin the color of your teeth. Be careful if you consume the following:
- Processed foods with high acidic levels.
- Candy and sugary drinks that ruin or destroy your enamel such as fruit juice, red wine, and soda.
- Highly acidic and sugar-rich fruits.
- Hereditary Predisposition – You may notice that with age, the discoloration of your teeth is more apparent. This can begin in your late 20s or 30s depending on your lifestyle and genetics.
- Xerostomia (Dry Mouth Condition) – Your enamel requires nourishment to fight bacteria. Low saliva levels help prevent such decay to the enamel so they can make healthy bacteria-fighting agents.
- Fluoride – If you’re intake in Fluoride levels are high, this can unknowingly destroy your enamel (typically starts in childhood).
- Antibiotics – Dentists have found that there are indeed some antibiotics that can destroy your enamel, leaving your teeth vulnerable and exposed to discoloring. A few notable antibiotics that yellow your teeth are:
- Tetracycline (When given to children before the age of 8 years old).
- Doxycycline (When given to children before the age of 8 years old).
- Tooth Injury – Incurring a bad injury at a young age can bruise the root of your tooth, creating a white spot on.
- Plaque & Tartar – The accumulation of these bacterial deposits can ruin your teeth and how they look, knowing how to brush your teeth and floss properly can prevent this from happening).
Now unfortunately, in some severe cases of tooth discoloration, a patient may require other treatments such as Porcelain Veneers or Lumineers. How white your teeth can become partly depends on what caused the discoloration in the first place. The teeth whitening options and solutions your cosmetic dentist provides will ultimately depend on the severity of the discoloration in your teeth.
Teeth Whitening Solutions at Midtown Dental
Dr. Jenny Apekian consults with all her patients prior to choosing a particular method to whiten teeth, and will only recommend the best solution for your individual case. The staff here at Midtown Dental constantly strives to provide the highest level of dental care for all our patients. All of our dental hygienists and other staff members are equipped to know all they can about your oral health. At Midtown Dental, we offer the following three distinct types of teeth whitening:
- Custom & Personalized Teeth Whitening Trays.
- In-Office Teeth Whitening.
- Professional Strength Crest 3D White Strips.
You’ll want to do your homework to learn which whitening treatment suits you best. One of the most common concerns our patients have is teeth sensitivity due to weak enamel. It’s important to choose a solution that will minimize the sensitivity, yet still achieve the desired results. Whether it’s a bleaching product, our Professional Strength Crest 3D White Strips, or a customized tray, Dr. Jenny Apekian wants your oral health to be the central focus in achieving a brighter smile. Learn more about the various options we have available.
Custom & Personalized Teeth Whitening Trays
Midtown Dental in Sacramento can create custom-fitted teeth whitening trays that fit thoroughly and snugly against your teeth. A custom-fitted tray increases the length of time and thoroughness of the whitening gel’s contact with your teeth. This, along with a stronger whitening gel that cannot be purchased general stores, guarantees that your teeth whitening experience is superior to any treatment you can do at home with over-the-counter products.
In-Office Teeth Whitening
For those patients that don’t want to take the time to utilize custom, take-home trays, we offer an in-office whitening solution. While many people try to save money and time with over-the-counter bleaching methods, it’s recommend that you visit a dental professional before trying yourself.
Our in-office bleaching solution utilizes a powerful bleaching gel, which can give you whiter teeth after just 40 minutes in the dental chair. In-office teeth whitening can be used for whitening one or more teeth, parts of a tooth, or for the entire mouth. If you opt for this solution, you’ll have a professionally applied product that you can trust, followed by great results.
Professional Crest 3D White Strips
If you are looking for a quick and easy take home solution, professional strength Crest White Strips may be the solution. Whitening strips are easy and safe to use and they can be a great option if you’re looking for a simple solution. You can use them to whiten your teeth just about anywhere, at any time.
The whitening strips we use will mold to the shape of your teeth, and come off cleanly to give you results that can last up to 12 months. Typically, you would apply them once a day for 30 minutes and you’ll start seeing a whiter smile after just three days, with full results in 20 days. This is one of our more popular teeth whitening treatments.
Interested in Whitening Your Teeth?
Our dental office staff in Sacramento primarily focuses on your safety and comfort. There are many options to enhance the color of your teeth, but you need to be careful about which options you consider. To learn more about how you can safely go about this type of service, check out our blog about how you can Whiten Your Teeth Safely.
If you have any questions about our different teeth whitening treatments, or how the process is handled, please Contact Midtown Dental Today.