Brushing your teeth properly is the single most important thing you can do to protect your teeth and prevent cavities.
The Best Way to Brush Your Teeth
Proper brushing takes at least two minutes, or a 120 seconds. While that sounds very short, the two minutes of brushing can feel like a life time. In fact, most of people do not come close to brushing that long. To properly brush your teeth, use short, gentle strokes, paying extra attention to the gumline, hard-to-reach back teeth and areas around fillings, crowns or other restorations.
Concentrate on thoroughly cleaning each section as follows:
- Clean the outer surfaces of your upper teeth, then your lower teeth
- Clean the inner surfaces of your upper teeth, then your lower teeth
- Clean the chewing surfaces
- For fresher breath, be sure to brush your tongue, too
Proper Brushing Technique
Our Sacramento Dentists at Midtown Dental recommend the following proper brushing technique:
- Place your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short (tooth-wide) strokes.
- Brush the outer surfaces, the inner surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of the teeth.
- To clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
Our Sacramento dentists are happy to quickly demonstrate best practices and walk you and family through this simple process.
Routine & Preventative Dental Care Services:
For the longest time my kids wouldn’t listen to me on how to brush their teeth. Of course when I brought them in for their cleanings, they listened to the dental staff and Dr. Apekian. They’re soooo good with kids! My kiddos always ask when we’re coming back for another appointment. Never thought I’d see that. Thank you so much Midtown Dental!